The Mechanica office complex is an expansion to the earlier development on the former Walter motor factory site. Mechanica follows on from the first building, Aviatica, which was completed in 2015 and which houses many successful brand offices. Mechanica is the closest of the project’s buildings to the Jinonice metro station, to which it is connected by a newly built footbridge. All civil infrastructure is integrated into the project, including shops, restaurants and other services.
The Mechanica complex comprises 3 buildings, two of which – Mechanica 1 and 2 – have been built recently, while the other one is a historical building which has undergone a complete renovation of all its important architectural elements while still maintaining a connection to its original industrial style – that’s the Walter building. The Mechanica complex’s construction began in May 2016 and its first lessees moved in as early as September 2017.
The Waltrovka project is located on the site of the now-defunct Walter Motors factory, founded by Josef Walter in 1911. During 1913, car production began in the factory, yielding, over time, several very successful generations of cars and car engines under the Walter brand. The company experienced a boom between the two World Wars, when several models of aircraft engines joined their production roster. The company was nationalized after World War II and renamed Motorlet n.p.. Until the Velvet Revolution of 1989, Motorlet produced a series of licensed, Soviet-designed engines as well as developing their own. The production plant employed some 1500 people at that time. In 1995, the company returned to its original name, Walter a.s., although this didn’t represent a return to its former glory and growth. Unfortunately, the plant’s production wasn’t able to compete on the free market, and in 2005, the site was bought by the real estate developer RedGroup with plans to construct an office complex as well as housing in the area. In 2008, part of the production section of Walter Engines was acquired by General Electric. The site saw the demolition of several buildings and the renovation of the historical M3 building for office leasing. Further work paused until the whole site of the former motor company was acquired by Penta Investments in 2012, with plans to revitalize this sizable chunk of real estate and create a new city district in this quickly growing and evolving part of Prague.
Mechanica’s developer is the Czech-Slovak investment group Penta Investments, founded by a group of business partners in 1994 and operating in the real estate and private equity sectors since.
|7 OG||1 469 sqm||173 sqm|
|6 OG||2 142 sqm||170 sqm|
|5 OG||2 115 sqm||171 sqm|
|4 OG||2 142 sqm||171 sqm|
|3 OG||2 115 sqm||171 sqm|
|2 OG||1 979 sqm||171 sqm|
|1 OG||1 737 sqm||455 sqm|
|Total||11 962 sqm||1 737 sqm||1 482 sqm|
|Total area to lease||15 181 sqm|
|Parking places - 1.PP, 2.PP||336|
|Storage areas - 1.NP, 1.PP, 2.PP||807 sqm|
734 234 112